Metal-on-Metal Hip Implant Litigation Attorneys in New York City
At Rheingold, Valet, Rheingold, McCartney & Giuffra (RVRMG) we have been at the forefront of nationwide metal implant litigation, filing federal and state cases for clients who have required revision surgery. Our clients may have a slow or rapid deterioration when the implant begins to fail, but these injuries all stem from similar design failures.
The ultra-completive world of orthopedic devices leads manufacturers to flood the markets with implants which have never been tested in humans and, amazingly, the FDA does not require such testing. We are investigating cases for clients who have had the M2a Biomet hip implants and experiencing complications or who have had a revision. Biomet continues to tout its large head M2a chrome and cobalt drop-forged implants as providing greater stability and resulting in less wear, as many other manufacturers do. However, many medical studies show that large heads put more cantilevered forces on the acetabular cup, causing wear and deterioration.
Our firm is investigating and filing suits for claims arising from metal-on-metal hip implant. Call 888-335-9457 today, or contact us online to speak with a knowledgeable New York medical device litigation law firm.
Many clients do not realize how important it is to preserve removed metal-on-metal implants for evidence, as well as preserve pathology specimens which document the affects of metallosis. Our firm can help obtain and preserve evidence obtained by the hospital. We urge our clients to have the orthopedic surgeon take photographs of the surgical site. Another important consideration we decide with clients is the litigation strategy of where to file a suit. Biomet is headquartered in Warsaw, Indiana, which is the state where medical metal-on-metal hip manufacturers Depuy and Zimmer are located. However, other considerations are what court, judges and state laws would best allow for a maximum recovery.
Unusual wear patterns cause metallic debris to come from the cup, ball and femoral stem, also known as the trunnion or taper. Metal implants have wear and tear such that loose metal particles are generated. This is exacerbated by faulty design. The metal used is cobalt and chromium, both having the potential to poison one's body. Common physical symptoms are:
- Pain in the groin
- Pain in the buttock
- Pain in the inner thigh
Metal poisoning is called "metallosis." Blood serum test can measure metal levels. Because the symptoms are wide ranging and appear to overlap with other conditions, the condition can exist for some time before diagnosed and treated. Here are some of the symptoms:
- Brain fog - This is a broad term that describes feelings of confusion and forgetfulness.
- Persistent pain - Chronic pain may be felt in almost any area of the body, including the muscles, tendons or soft tissues.
- Persistent feelings of malaise - This is also a somewhat vague symptom. Chronic malaise means you often feel generally unwell. For instance, you may often feel tired, uncomfortable or sick.
- Gastrointestinal problems - Some specific symptoms associated with gastrointestinal issues are diarrhea, gas, constipation, and trouble digesting foods.
- Emotional disturbance - Some that are especially linked to metal toxicity are feelings of anxiety and mood swings. Depression may also be a sign of metal toxicity.
- Problems with the nervous system - Some common manifestations may include feelings of burning or numbness in the extremities and tingling in other parts of the body.
- Cardiomyopathy - An extremely serious consequence of metal toxicity, this term means that the muscle of the heart is no longer functioning as it should.
- Problems with hearing, sight or cognition, dizziness, headaches
- Peripheral neuropathy - This can cause a host of problems including numbness, tingling and tremors.
- Skin rashes
Our firm is actively investigating cases from a wide variety of hip implants made by DePuy, Biomet, Zimmer, Smith & Nephew and other metal-on-metal implant manufacturers. If you have exhibited any of the above mentioned symptoms and currently have a metal-on-metal implant contact our firm.
Contact Our Biomet Hip Implant Recall Attorneys for a Case Evaluation
If you have ever had a Biomet M2a Magnum hip replacement system and had surgery or otherwise have been injured as a result of its failure, contact Rheingold, Valet, Rheingold, McCartney & Giuffra LLP. (RVRMG)
We can protect your legal rights when another party's negligence put you in harm's way. Contact us online or by telephone at 888-335-9457 to speak with an experienced New York hip replacement recall lawyer. Our law office is conveniently located in a brownstone in Midtown Manhattan located at 113 East 37th Street.