New York Product Liability Lawyers
Metal-on-Metal Implant Litigation Attorneys in New York City
The field of orthopedic surgery is rapidly changing with new techniques and innovations giving hope to those who previously had none. Sometimes, however, medical devices are hastily put on the market without proper testing. This creates a dangerous situation for patients as they become "human guinea pigs." Alarmingly, the United States (unlike England and Australia) does not require a medical implant registry to track failures.
Metal-on-metal implants for knees and hips have been implicated for problems: DePuy ASR hip implant, Zimmer Durom Cup hip implant, Zimmer NexGen knee implants, as well as other metal-on-metal implants.
Our firm is investigating claims arising from metal-on-metal implant. Contact us today online or by telephone at 888-335-9457 to speak with a knowledgeable New York pharmaceutical litigation law firm.
Metal implants have wear and tear such that loose metal particles are generated. This is exacerbated by faulty design. The metal used is cobalt and chromium, both having the potential to poison one's body. Metal poisoning is called "metallosis." Blood serum test can measure metal levels. Because the symptoms are wide ranging and appear to overlap with other conditions, the condition can exist for some time before diagnosed and treated. Here are some of the symptoms:
- Brain fog - This is a broad term that describes feelings of confusion and forgetfulness.
- Persistent pain - Chronic pain may be felt in almost any area of the body, including the muscles, tendons or soft tissues.
- Persistent feelings of malaise - This is also a somewhat vague symptom. Chronic malaise means you often feel generally unwell. For instance, you may often feel tired, uncomfortable or sick.
- Gastrointestinal problems - Some specific symptoms associated with gastrointestinal issues are diarrhea, gas, constipation, and trouble digesting foods.
- Emotional disturbance - Some that are especially linked to metal toxicity are feelings of anxiety and mood swings. Depression may also be a sign of metal toxicity.
- Problems with the nervous system - Some common manifestations may include feelings of burning or numbness in the extremities and tingling in other parts of the body.
- Cardiomyopathy - An extremely serious consequence of metal toxicity, this term means that the muscle of the heart is no longer functioning as it should.
- Problems with hearing, sight or cognition, dizziness, headaches
- Peripheral neuropathy - This can cause a host of problems including numbness, tingling and tremors.
- Skin rashes
We are filing cases in federal and state court and determining what will be in the best interests of our clients. Metal-on-Metal implants are currently under investigation by the FDA because of the increased incidence of metallosis and high early failure rates. Our firm is actively invesitgating cases from a wide variety of hip implants made by DePuy, Biomet, Zimmer, Smith & Nephew and other Metal-on-Metal implant manufacturers. If you have exhibited any of the above mentioned symptoms and currently have a Metal-on-Metal implant contact our firm.
Contact Us for a Case Evaluation
If you have ever had a DePuy ASR XL hip replacement system and had surgery or otherwise have been injured as a result of its failure, contact Rheingold, Valet, Rheingold, McCartney & Giuffra LLP.
We can protect your legal rights when another party's negligence put you in harms way. Contact us online or by telephone at 888-335-9457 to speak with an experienced New York patch recall lawyer. Our law office is conveniently located in a brownstone in Midtown Manhattan located at 113 East 37th Street.