David B. Rheingold specializes in an active trial practice primarily involving drug products and medical device liability cases, as well as over-the-counter products such as Zantac. He is the managing partner for the firm’s cases in the following high-profile legal cases:
- $2.5 billion DePuy ASR and DePuy Pinnacle metal-on-metal hip implant settlement plan;
- $1.4 billion Stryker Rejuvenate metal-on-metal hip implant settlement plan;
- $300 million Benicar Olmesartan settlement plan;
- $100 million NuvaRing settlement program.
- He also has established significant confidential settlements in medical device litigations.
David advises and educates new clients about the potential state and federal courts options for them. These strategic and legal consultations continue throughout litigation and settlements. He’s proud that many of these products have been recalled or voluntarily discontinued by the defendants pending litigation.
For over a decade since the 2010 Bard Kugel hernia mesh litigation, David has specialized in polypropylene/multilayer hernia and pelvic mesh litigation, with success on behalf of clients involving American Medical Systems, Bard, Boston Scientific, Coloplast, Covidien, and Ethicon. He has represented clients in federal and state courts throughout the country. Notably, he is a Document Discovery Committee Member for the Ethicon Proceed Hernia Mesh litigation. He maintains a local and national network of surgeons to evaluate meritorious cases.
David specializes in litigation for cancer-causing drugs and products, such as Johnson & Johnson talcum powder, Zantac, ranitidine, Diovan, Valsartan, Round-Up, Paraquat herbicide, and exposure to drugs and household products over long periods of time are causing digestive and blood cancers. While aggressive litigation is a priority, David and his staff realize how traumatic a cancer diagnosis can be when helping clients through what may be difficult and challenging times.
David has and continues to litigate birth control and sterilization products in federal and state courts. These include:
- Ortho Evra
- Dalkon Shield
These litigations require an extensive discovery process regarding the defendants’ internal documents to determine “what they knew when they knew it, and what they did with the information when they knew it.”
He uses his medical expertise in preparing the firm’s “Extraordinary Injury” and “Enhanced Injury” claims for recent medical device litigations: hernia mesh, cancer victims, Medtronic Defibrillators, Guidant Defibrillator, Medtronic Sprint Fidelis Lead litigations, DePuy ASR, and Pinnacle hip implants, Stryker Rejuvenate hip implants, knee Implants, Benicar Olmesartan hypertension drug. Every client’s settlement is unique and all aspects of damages are considered.
On both a local and national level, he has obtained substantial client settlements through arbitration, mediation, and direct negotiations with some of the largest national and international drug and medical device makers. Prior to joining the firm, David practiced in Virginia handling personal injury cases.
Focus on Hernia & Pelvic Mesh Litigation
- American Medical Systems (AMS)
- Boston Scientific
Drug litigation is also a large part of his federal and state practice and includes:
- Benicar (appointed to the Benicar Multidistrict Litigation Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee
- Bellwether Litigation Committee, as well as the Document Review Committee Invokana
His direct involvement in the management of specific litigations includes courts in New York, New Jersey, and federal courts throughout the United States.
Focus on Cancer Litigation
- Valsartan, Losartan: Cancers caused by the NDMA N-Nitrosodimethylamine
- Zantac and ranitidine: Cancers caused by the NDMA N-Nitrosodimethylamine
- Talcum baby and shower powders: ovarian cancer and mesothelioma
- Round-Up: Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma
- Philips C-Pap machines causing lung cancer
- Paraquat causing Parkinson’s Disease
In recent years, a new wave or products and drugs have been a nefarious cause of cancers. Dave retains nurses on staff and oncology experts determining if there is a meritorious claim. He then finds the best state or federal courts to file your suit. Dave stays abreast of the latest scientific and medical studies necessary to prove your case in court.
- The University of Richmond, The T.C. Williams School of Law, Richmond, Virginia
- J.D. – 1988
- Oberlin College, Oberlin, Ohio
- B.A. – 1984
- Major: Sociology
- New York, 1994
- New Jersey
- Virginia, 1988
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1994
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 1994
Professional Associations & Memberships
- American Association for Justice
- City Bar Association of New York
- New York State Trial Lawyers
- New York Trial Academy
- National Academy of Personal Injury Attorneys: Nationally Ranked Top 10 Attorney Award |
- The National Trial Lawyers: Top 25 Mass Tort Lawyers |
- Super Lawyers: New York Metro Selectee |
- The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100 Civil Plaintiff |
- New York Metro Rising Stars: Top Attorneys of New York Metro |
- American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys: 10 Best Attorneys |
- Rated by SuperLawyers since 2015
Actively Involved in the Community
Attorney Rheingold is the co-chair for the Fosamax and Other Bisphosphonates Litigation Group. This local and national experience makes him a valuable lecturer to other trial attorneys on handling mass tort cases, and he provides annual lectures to New York State Trial Lawyers at the annual “Decisions” seminars throughout New York State.
Giving Back to the Community
He believes strongly in “giving back” to the community and has created the Mentor First intern program which is a community-based mentorship program for first-generation and foreign students who want to intern for a hands-on law firm experience.
He is an annual guest lecturer at the New York School of Law and the Michigan State University School of Law. He also guests lectures to lawyers at the Attorneys Exchange Information Group.
He is an active supporter of the following charities: Open Door: Ambassador for Family Medical Center; Supporter of Donors Choose. Foundation which is an academic non-profit providing classroom supplies.
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
Year Joined Firm