Sherri L. Plotkin, a partner of the firm, has exclusively represented victims of medical malpractice and serious personal injuries for over 35 years. She is widely acknowledged to be one of the leading attorneys practicing in these areas of the law.
Ms. Plotkin is a tenacious litigator who is an aggressive advocate on behalf of her clients. She is a dedicated, passionate and knowledgeable trial attorney who takes great pride and satisfaction in being able to help people who have been injured. Ms. Plotkin prides herself on providing her clients with close personal attention and involving them throughout the process of their lawsuit. Ms. Plotkin’s advocacy skills have led to verdicts and settlements on behalf of her clients in excess of Two Hundred and Fifty Million Dollars over the course of her illustrious career.
Ms. Plotkin has been consistently named as a “Super Lawyer” in the prestigious New York Times publication, an honor bestowed on only the top five percent of attorneys in NYS. She has also been and continues to be recognized as one of the Top 50 Women Attorneys in the NY Times Super Lawyers publication. Ms. Plotkin was honored by being elected in 2011 to the National Trial Lawyers as one of the top 100 trial lawyers in New York and has been named as one of the Top 1% of America’s Most Honored Attorneys.
Professional Memberships and Accomplishments
Ms. Plotkin serves as a member of the Board of Directors of the New York State Trial Lawyers Association. In recognition of her vast knowledge of the court system, she has been appointed on multiple occasions to the Supreme Court Judicial Screening Panel which evaluates the credentials and capabilities of both sitting judges and candidates for judgeship positions in New York County.
Her talent has also led to her appointment to the Highest Panel of the Legal Referral Service of the New York City Bar Association and she has served on their evaluating panels. Ms. Plotkin has received multiple awards and accolades including an award for Excellence in Civil Trial Advocacy, being formally recognized as an Advocate by the National College of Trial Advocacy, and being named as a member of the Million Dollar Associates Forum. One of Ms. Plotkin’s proudest accomplishments was her work with the Volunteer Committee of Attorneys Representing Victims of the 9/11 World Trade Center Disaster, where she successfully represented victims and their families free of charge.
Ms. Plotkin has lectured to other attorneys at the New York City Bar and New York State Trial Lawyers Association on the topics of medical malpractice and wrongful death issues in both personal injury and medical malpractice cases. Ms. Plotkin is also civic-minded and provides free legal services on Monday nights to indigent individuals through a program offered by the NYC Bar Association. She also serves as a Director of the East Midtown Coalition for Sensible Development, a not-for-profit corporation dedicated to ensuring reasonable development of property in New York City; she is a member of the Board in her condominium, and she has been providing volunteer services during the Covid-19 pandemic.
- New York Law School, New York, New York
- J.D. – 1989
- Best Civil Advocate
- Law Review: New York Law School, Editor
- Hunter College of the City University of New York
- B.A. – 1982
- Honors: Dean’s List
- $12 Million settlement in a medical malpractice action for a child who suffered brain damage at birth;
- $2.5 Million settlement in a medical malpractice action for a young man whose leg was amputated due to a surgeon’s negligence;
- $2.5 Million settlement for the wrongful death of a 58-year-old woman in a medical malpractice action for failure to timely diagnose and treat breast cancer;
- $2.5 Million settlement in a medical malpractice action for the failure to timely diagnose the presence of a blood clot in a 50-year-old woman necessitating the amputation of her right arm;
- $2.1 Million settlement in a medical malpractice action involving a doctor who failed to properly monitor a premature infant resulting in mild brain damage;
- $1.9 Million settlement for the wrongful death of a 9-year-old girl following the transfusion of AIDS-tainted blood;
- $1.45 Million settlement for the failure to timely diagnose glaucoma in a child resulting in diminished vision in one eye;
- $1.1 Million settlement for a 46-year-old male who suffered a fractured ankle in a trip and fall accident;
- $1 Million settlement for an infant who suffered limitation of use of her right arm due to an improperly handled birth resulting in the development of an Erb’s Palsy;
- $1 Million settlement (full policy amount) for a man who was accidentally pricked by an improperly discarded medical needle causing the development of Stevens-Johnson Syndrome
- New York, 1989
- New Jersey, 1989
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey, 1989
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 1989
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1990
- U.S. District Court District of Connecticut, 2004
Honors & Awards
- Medical Malpractice, New York Metro Super Lawyers, 2008
- Medical Malpractice, New York Metro Super Lawyers, 2010 – 2011
- National Trial Lawyers – Top 100 Trial Lawyers in New York State
- Max J. Reich Excellency in Civil Trial Advocacy Award
- Highest Panel of the Legal Referral Service of the New York City Bar Association
- Member, Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- America’s Most Honored Lawyers – Top 1%, The American Registry, 202
Professional Associations & Memberships
- New York State Trial Lawyers Association, Board of Directors
- New York City Bar Association, Member
- American Association for Justice, Member
- Bronx County Bar Association, Member
- Lecturer, Wrongful Death Issues, Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- Guest Lecturer, New York State Trial Lawyers Association
- Lecturer, Medical Malpractice, Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- Lecturer, Personal Injury, Association of the Bar of the City of New York
Pro Bono Activities
- Director of the East Midtown Coalition for Sensible Development