Failing to Sue Proper Parties
New York Professional Malpractice Lawyers
A law firm is tasked with the responsibility of determining who the right party or parties are which need to be sued. Not suing the appropriate defendant may result in a claim being dismissed with no recovery. Corporations and business frequently change names or have similar sounding names. If suing for an employee's negligence, the correct employer must be sued. These are just a few examples of the complications involved in successful litigation.
If a deviation from the appropriate standard of care for professional has occurred, contact us at (888) 260-0473
An attorney's duty to determine liability
A key strategy for successful litigation is pursuing cases against defendants with the insurance or corporate assets to play claims. An attorney is responsible for locating assets to resolve a claim, which can involve knowing:
- Insurance policies covering claims, which may require locating umbrella coverage
- The effect a bankruptcy filing would have by one of the defendants. Sometimes bankruptcy litigation will require filing a suit in another state, or a special court.
- In "no-fault" states, establishing injuries, lost earnings or permanent disabilities which will exceed applicable thresholds
- When liability coverage can be based on employer/employee, child/parent
- Emotional or economic loss for the non-injured spouse and children
- Projections for future lost income or lost earning capacity
Pursuing a lawsuit against a defendant that has no means to pay off damages is a costly endeavor. Clients end up paying high attorney fees for a case that their legal counsel should have known from the beginning was not profitable.
Have you been mislead by a professional?
We take legal malpractice very seriously at Rheingold, Giuffra, Ruffo & Plotkin LLP. Our New York professional malpractice lawyers spend time giving clients close, personal attention so that they can rest assured they are not repeating the same mistake over again. When you are informed on exactly what is happening in your case, you know that your lawyer is not wasting your time or money.