By Ross Testaiuti, Law Clerk
Can I or a Loved One Sue for a Monetary Settlement, if Injured During a Bicycle Accident?
Yes. If you or a loved one was a victim of a cycling accident, you or your loved one can sue those who caused your or your loved one’s biking injuries.
Bicycling accidents are on the rise this year, and 2023 is projected to be the deadliest year for cyclists in New York. Streetsblog reports that this year already 20 cyclists have died in New York City.
New York City has many laws that protect cyclists, and if you or a loved one suffered an injury due to someone violating these laws that protect cyclist or hitting you while cycling, you can be compensated for the injuries you or your loved one sustained in your cycling accident.
What Types of Accidents Allow One to Recover Monetary Damages for Your or Your Loved One’s Injuries Caused by a Bicycle Accident?
- Cycling accidents involving a collision with a car, bus, truck or any other motor vehicle;
- Cyclist on Cyclist collisions;
- Cycling accidents that involve a car door;
- Bicycle accidents caused by roadwork;
- Cycling accidents caused by ongoing construction;
- Bicycle accidents involving a sewer cover, pothole cover or manhole cover;
- Bike accidents caused by the sidewalk or street pavement, such as a crack in the ground;
- Accidents that occurred while riding on an E-bike or Citi-bike;
- Bike accidents caused by someone not stopping at a stop sign or red light.
- This list is not exclusive. There are many other scenarios that would allow one to sue and recover.
Important Deadlines: How Long Do I Have to Recover for My Injury if I Was Injured During A Cycling Accident?
3 years. Under the New York Statute of Limitations, a person has a three-year time window from the date of their cycling accident.
Important note: If you are bringing a claim against a municipality or government agency you must do so within 90 days from the date of the bicycle accident, which is a smaller time frame than the 3-year window under the statute of limitations.
As a part of the services Rheingold Giuffra Ruffo and Plotkin, LLP offers, we will complete this step of the process for you.
Can I Sue the Company or People who Made My Bicycle if a Malfunction in the Bicycle Caused an Injury?
Yes. If you suffered an injury due to the defective nature of the bicycle you or a loved one may recover the cost you bore for injuries and damages from whoever made that bicycle.