The accident occurred back in January of 2009, in Suffolk County, on Yaphank Middle Island Road. Plaintiff was loading his van when a Parks and Recreation Pickup truck struck him. Plaintiff sued Suffolk County and the Suffolk County Department of Parks and Recreation, claiming they were liable since the employee struck Plaintiff while working.
Plaintiff alleged injuries to his knee and back, including tears of the meniscus, anterior crucial ligament and annular tissue of an intervertebral disc. Plaintiff underwent surgery on his knee and back and claims he suffers daily residual pain. He now suffers from arthritis and continues to take painkillers daily. Plaintiff has not worked since the accident in 2009.
The jury returned a verdict of $5,088,000 in damages for the Plaintiff including:
- $250,000 for future medical costs
- $375,000 for past lost earnings
- $2,250,000 for future lost earnings
- $200,000 for pain and suffering
- $850,000 for future pain and suffering
- $17,000 for past loss of savings-plan benefits
- $116,000 for future loss of savings plan benefits
- $50,000 for future loss of Social Security benefits
- $980,000 for future loss of pension benefits