By Benjamin Pace
In a significant development, two members of the Senate Judiciary Committee, Senators Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) and Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.), are urging a government investigation into the FDA’s oversight of medical devices.
This call to action follows the total recall of Philips CPAP machines that released dangerous fumes into the user that could cause headaches, vomiting and allergic reactions or other “toxic or cancer-causing effects,” according to the FDA. They claimed the FDA failed to address this dangerous issue.1
The FDA’s lack of action extends beyond Philips Respirators to numerous medical devices, resulting in a slew of litigations.
Our firm is actively pursuing cases involving the following products:
- Bard’s Ventralight ST mesh, along with other hernia meshes, have caused extensive infections, organ erosion, and permanent pain, among other complications.
- Exactech’s Connexion GXL Hip Liners, whose wear and osteolysis can lead to permanent bone loss.
- Bard’s IVC filters, with complications including fracture, migration, perforation of internal organs, and embedment.
- Paragard, a Teva Pharmaceuticals intrauterine device (IUD), which we have linked to injuries, infections, and various complications.
The above-named medical devices are only a fraction of the countless products overlooked by the FDA which have brought harm to thousands.
Why We Support More Oversight
The FDA needs to investigate “Safety Signals.” Their database of reported device failures2 should be monitored by the FDA for emerging problems. Most importantly, there needs to be fast action with manufacturers to announce recalls or modifications of use.
If you or a family member have been affected by any of the above-mentioned products, you may be eligible to file a lawsuit and claim compensation for the pain and suffering you have endured. Don’t hesitate to contact the experienced New York attorneys of Rheingold Giuffra Ruffo Plotkin & Hellman LLP for a free consultation today.
It’s time to explore your legal options and seek the justice you deserve. We are here to help you make a claim and secure the compensation you need to move forward.
- United States Senate. (2023, December 13) https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/24215746-letter-to-gao-re-fda-oversight-of-medical-device-recalls-final