Biomet M2a Magnum Hip Replacement Recall
Defective Hip Implant Attorneys in New York City
At Rheingold Giuffra Ruffo & Plotkin LLP (RGRP) we have been at the forefront of nationwide metal implant litigation, filing federal and state cases for clients who have required revision surgery. Though our clients have experienced different systems when their implant begins to fail, all of their injuries stem from similar design failures.
The ultra-completive world of orthopedic devices leads manufacturers to flood the markets with implants which have never been tested in humans and, amazingly, the FDA does not require such testing. We are investigating cases for clients who have had the M2a Biomet hip implants and experiencing complications. Biomet continues to tout its large M2a head and chrome and cobalt drop-forged implants provide greater stability and longer lifespans. However, many medical studies show that large heads put more cantilevered forces on the acetabular cup, causing faster deterioration.
Our firm is investigating and filing suits for claims arising from metal-on-metal hip implant. Call (888) 260-0473 today, or contact us online to speak with a knowledgeable New York defective medical device litigation lawyer. We have helped obtain class settlements in medical device cases for $268 million, $195 million and $118 million.
Preserve Evidence When Possible
Many clients do not realize how important it is to preserve removed metal-on-metal implants for evidence, as well as preserve pathology specimens which document the affects of metallosis. Our firm can help obtain and preserve evidence obtained by the hospital. We urge our clients to have the orthopedic surgeon take photographs of the surgical site. Another important consideration we decide with clients is the litigation strategy of where to file a suit. Biomet is headquartered in Warsaw, Indiana, which is the state where medical metal-on-metal hip manufacturers Depuy and Zimmer are located. However, other considerations are what court, judges, and state laws would best allow for a maximum recovery.
Signs Your HIp replacement is hurting you
Unusual wear patterns cause metallic debris to come from the cup, ball and femoral stem, also known as the trunnion or taper. Wear and tear in metal devices often release chemicals and debris in the body. The Biomet M2A is made up of cobalt and chromium, both having the potential to poison one's body. Common physical symptoms are:
- Pain in the groin
- Pain in the buttock
- Pain in the inner thigh
Metal poisoning is called "metallosis." Blood serum test can measure metal levels. Because the symptoms are wide ranging and appear to overlap with other conditions, the condition can exist for some time before diagnosed and treated. Some of the symptoms are listed below:
- Brain fog - This is a broad term that describes feelings of confusion and forgetfulness.
- Persistent pain - Chronic pain may be felt in almost any area of the body, including the muscles, tendons or soft tissues.
- Persistent feelings of malaise - Chronic malaise means you often feel generally unwell. For instance, you may often feel tired, uncomfortable or sick all hours of the day.
- Gastrointestinal problems - Some specific symptoms associated with gastrointestinal issues are diarrhea, gas, constipation, and trouble digesting foods.
- Emotional disturbance - Metal toxicity can be accompanied by feelings of anxiety and mood swings. Depression may also be a sign of metal toxicity.
- Problems with the nervous system - Some common manifestations may include feelings of burning or numbness in the extremities and tingling in other parts of the body.
- Cardiomyopathy - An extremely serious consequence of metal toxicity, this term means that the muscle of the heart is no longer functioning as it should.
- Peripheral neuropathy - This can cause a host of problems including numbness, tingling and tremors.
If you have exhibited any of the above mentioned symptoms and currently have a metal-on-metal implant contact our firm.
Contact Our Biomet Hip Implant Recall Attorneys for a Case Evaluation
If you have ever had a Biomet M2a Magnum hip replacement system and have experienced mild or severe problems contact Rheingold Giuffra Ruffo & Plotkin LLP. Our New York defective hip implant replacement attorneys can help you determine if your injuries are the result of faulty manufacturing.