Over the years, there have been several hernia mesh medical devices that have been the subject of civil litigation with hundreds of lawsuits filed and the high-profile disclosure of design issues with the various hernia mesh devices. Yet, not all hernia mesh cases go to trial. Some settle before the trial date. If you or a loved one have been injured by a hernia mesh device, consult an attorney who has had experience handling the investigation and litigation of these hernia mesh medical devices. An experience mesh lawyer will be able to guide you through the often byzantine process of determining the best resolution for your case.
Here’s a look at several of the settlement amounts over the last several years:
- In 2011, C.R. Bard paid $184 million to settle 2,600 lawsuits.
- In 2015, C.R. Bard settled almost 3,000 lawsuits that alleged hernia mesh failure for $119 million.
- In August of 2015, C.R. paid out another $200 million to settle another 3,000 cases. Each plaintiff who was part of the settlement received approximately $67,000.
- In 2016, Johnson & Johnson settled close to 42,000 lawsuits filed against them for $120 million dollars.
- In 2014, Boston Scientific settled two claims for $34.5 million. It was eventually discovered that the company smuggled in materials from China to make hernia mesh devices.
- In 2013, Endo International settled around 7,700 lawsuits for $54.4 million.
- In 2014, Endo International settled 20,000 lawsuits for $830 million.
- Endo International paid out the second settlement to 10,000 plaintiffs in the amount of $400 million. Each patient received approximately $48,000.
If you do the math, you’ll see that totals almost $2 billion in settlements won by hernia mesh lawyers on behalf of their clients. Based on the information that we have on previous settlements, plaintiffs who settle receive anywhere between just under $3,000 up to $1 million. The average settlement is between $40,000 and $60,000.
Any medical device lawsuit is complex and requires the knowledge and experience of a seasoned lawyer. If you have questions or concerns about a potential hernia mesh lawsuit, contact our firm today.