E-Cigarette Battery Burn Victim Awarded $1.9 Million

In a recent California trial court the victim of an e-cigarette burn was awarded nearly $1.9 million. The plaintiff sued the electronic cigarette distributor, VapCigs, the wholesaler, Cartons 2 Go, and the store where she bought the device.

Plaintiff was in her car charging her e-cigarette battery when liquid started dripping from the battery. The battery then exploded, catching Plaintiff's dress and seat on fire. She suffered second-degree burns on her legs, buttocks and hand.

Plaintiff's lawsuit claimed the e-cigarette device she used failed to conform to reasonable safety expectations and the companies failed to warn about known dangers.

According to the U.S. Fire Administration electronic cigarettes are used by more than 2.5 million Americans. Despite the multitude of users, the multi-billion dollar industry is largely unregulated, with few safeguards for consumer protection. The Fire Administration explained that lithium-ion e-cigarette batteries use flammable liquid electrolytes that can explode when they overheat, such as when they receive too much voltage while charging.

With the numerous devices we charge today we often pay little attention to the proper voltage or wattage recommended for charging. Devices should be constructed to safely charge via all the common charging sources or otherwise provide prominent warnings as to the potential hazards. If you were injured while using or charging an electronic cigarette device call the experienced product liability lawyers at Rheingold, Giuffra, Ruffo & Plotkin LLP, today to protect your rights: 1-800-349-0004, or visit our website here.

Categories:

Don't Settle

for an Average Attorney
    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
    • Please enter your email address.
      This isn't a valid email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.
Get RGRP On Your Side